Eight ways to work exercise into your daily routine
Most of us have been instructed by our doctors to watch our eating habits and to exercise, in order to keep blood glucose levels under control. However, in most cases, this is easier said than done as exercise can be a hard prescription to fill. Busy schedules or physical limitations might make it difficult to get to the gym every day, but that doesn't mean you have to give up on exercising.
8 everyday exercise habits
Here are eight easy ways ways to fit physical activity into your everyday life.
- Take the stairs. Climbing up those stairs can get your heart rate pumping.
- Choose a distant parking space. Park at the end of the parking lot and walk to your destination. The parking lots of big-box chain stores are typically huge, so you get in quite a bit of exercise simply by giving up that prime parking space.
- Get physical with your chores. Go outside and rake leaves, or stay inside and vacuum. Put your kitchen timer to good use by setting it for five or ten minutes, then cleaning as quickly as you can during that time. Your house gets clean and you get an extra workout.
- Invest in a treadmill. When you are watching your favorite program, walk on the treadmill instead of sitting in the recliner. You can still get your daily dose of television and stay active as well.
- Take a class. Ballroom dance classes, boating lessons, and other interesting activities can keep you moving--and you might unlock hidden talents at the same time.
- Ask a friend to hold you accountable. If you have a standing lunch date with your friend and you both walk for thirty minutes of that time, you have a responsibility to your friend to be there. You are much more likely to adhere to an exercise routine if there is someone counting on you to do so.
- Family time can double as exercise time. Take the kids out to the park, or plan a weekend hike through the wilderness. Invest in bicycles and challenge each other to long rides. When you go to see historical sites or landmarks, take the walking tour instead of riding in the shuttle or van.
- Break up your workout routines. Many people dread working out for thirty minutes or an hour, but working out for ten minutes at a time seems much less daunting.
There are many opportunities to fit exercise into your daily routine. Look for fun ways to fit a little physical activity into everything you do, and soon exercising should be much easier than you ever dreamed it could be.
height and weight into our Body Mass Index
Calculator to find out.